Sunday, November 4, 2007

Scrapes, biking and other fall things

All right, so Emily has pretty much taken control of this Franzen Frame thing. So it's about time I start catching up. I did pretty well on the LSAT--I got a 156, which is about 50% for BYU test takers and about 64% overall which I think is pretty good considering the type of people who are also taking the test. I am to the part where I start sending personal statements to all of the schools I want to apply to, and I also pay them lots of money just to review my application (the application fees). Emily and I have decided to apply to Georgia, Emory, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maine, and Oklahoma (they waived my application fee). I personally favor going to Wisconsin for several reasons.

1. They are ranked #13 in the nation concerning education and let's face it, we go to school to do what? That's right, get educated.
2. The state of Wisconsin is one of two states that allows the graduates from their more prestigious law schools to start practicing nearly immediately after graduation. I do not have to pass the Wisconsin bar if Emily and I decide to practice in Wisconsin.
3. They have the best clinical program that I have seen around. As a student I will have the opportunity to basically start practicing while I am in school. These clinics are designed to have people who cannot afford their own counsel the opportunity to have counsel. It will be a great opportunity for me to hopefully use that Spanish.
4. Wisconsin is a lot like New Hampshire, and I really miss New England.
5. Madison is gorgeous, it appears to be like a peninsula into a lake, which will be great for having someplace to go to get away from the books.
6. The school also has a close relationship with the state government, which will allow me the opportunity to intern as a clerk over the summers.
7. The school overall is highly ranked, usually somewhere in the top 35 law schools across the nation.
8. Wisconsin Law is supposedly a very liberal school, so this might serve well to balance the undergraduate degree that I will get from BYU, which is supposedly a very conservative school. (Although my dad is already scared that I am starting to sway a little too far to the left)
9. Football
10. I am nearly guaranteed to be able to apply for in-state tuition my second year if Emily is working as a teacher.
11. And finally and probably most important of all, the proximity to family is a major consideration for me personally. If Emily and I end up starting our family while we are at law school, our short commute to Mosinee might be all our kids need to boost them up to the top positions in the favorite grandchildren standings.

I know it's kind of disgusting, but I want to make a point that running is not for the faint of heart. This is a tough sport. Not only strenuous but it also can make its mark on you physically. I did this dandy while running in the early morning and I started thinking more about what would be going on in my day rather than the edge of the asphalt. And you all of you who were wondering, yes I did keep running afterward. I was like 4 miles from home so that was the quickest way to get back to work on the wound.




My costume: Um, I don't know what I was, but it certainly doesn't look good. Really what happened was that Emily let me purchase a helmet and lights for my bike so I can ride to work. This is a picture of what I might look like out on the road in the very near future. My boss and a couple of the employees all ride their bikes up to work. It's kind of the in thing to do now that we've seen that Al Gore movie, and noticed the increase in fuel costs. If you notice I have my old chemistry protective goggles on. I thought I would never have another reason to wear them, but they are going to pay off I think because they have clear lenses. Those lenses will be better than in the early morning than wearing the colored ski goggles that I own. I am adamantly pro-seeing the road.





This last photo is a picture of all the Utah Franzens that I know. Emily, myself, Jessica, Emily (the little one), Jude, and my brother Paul. Emily, the little one, has attended at least one BYU game every season she has been alive. And I guess that goes for Jude as well. BYU beat Colorado State by a lot.

12 comments:

Margaret said...

We favor Wisconsin, too, for obvious reasons! Actually, we'll be proud of you and we'll come to visit wherever you end up. For some reason, I couldn't see the jogging accident picture, but the bike riding outfit is charming.

Janet said...

wow, it figures that when i leave, you think about coming. and now i'll be all lonely in provo. gosh, don't you guys like me?

Preston said...

As far as I know Janet neither you nor I have been accepted.

Margaret said...

Madison also has the huge advantage of having a Hobby Lobby!

Janet said...

fair point preston.

Tracy said...

Wow, when you decide to write, you write! We favor Virginia, but that wasn't even on the list! Whats up with that!! JK.
Joe and I are still going to try and give you a run for your money when your cute kids come along. :0)
Good luck with getting into law school. If your as good at getting scrapes, I think your good to go!

Shannon said...

Nice post Preston. I realize that Memphis is not in your pool because you discovered we'll be leaving when you guys would be coming so that makes sense. Wisconsin would be GREAT thought I'm a little biased. :)

Shannon said...

Ps. Nice background Emily ;)

Shannon said...

You know, I had the craziest dream that you guys posted you bought a new computer... :P

Margaret said...

It now appears that both of you have disavowed control of your blog because no one is posting anything!

Shannon said...

yeah, what's the deal?? You guys need to get on the ball! :P

Brenda and Eric said...

Are we the first ones for 2008???
Happy New Year
How about a few more Christmas and New Year's photos? Also some pictures of Wyoming!