Sunday, September 27, 2009

Are you kidding?

We had a talk in church today about how Facebook is like the scriptures. And it wasn't from a youth speaker. This was a grown woman with teenage daughters. I groaned as soon as I heard her mention Facebook - she then spent about 20 minutes detailing just how similar the scriptures and Facebook are: they are both free, can be accessed anywhere, they both give you important messages (that is, if you consider "John has sent you a Pirates vs. Ninjas invitation" an important message), they both make you smile, and my favorite - some days you just need to spend more time on Facebook and some days you just need to spend more time in the scriptures. Her point? I didn't quite pick up on that part. Maybe that we make time for Facebook and since the scriptures are so similar to Facebook, we should make time for them too?

This is the second week in a row that Facebook has come up in a Sacrament Meeting talk. I think maybe that if it's that prevalent in our lives, we might want to rethink our priorities. What do you think?

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Some people can't function without Facebook, cell phones, and tweeting. I think it's nice to be able to stay in touch with people, but if it takes over your life, yes, it's a problem.

Joe said...

Apparently, our last youth fireside was telling the youth to get "unplugged" and stop facebooking, tweeting, etc. I found that interesting, considering the talk about new media and the church by Holland(?)

Crystal A. said...

HOLY MACKEREL!
But then I'm checking your blog...