Friday, April 2, 2010

How smart are you feeling today?

70 points to the winner.


1. What is the distance between the x-intercept and the y-intercept of the line
y=1/2x+3?

A) -9
B) 9
C) 18
D) 45
E)√45

2. If 9a=81, then √a × ∛3a=

A) 3
B) 9
C) 27
D) 81
E) 243


3. In 2008, a used car lot’s sales increased by 25% from the year before. In 2009,
sales decreased by 40% from the year before. The number of cars sold in 2009 is
what percent of the number of cars sold in 2007?

A) 60%
B) 75%
C) 100%
D) 125%
E) 140%

4. Little known and misunderstood two centuries ago, many readers now find
Emily Dickinson a fascinating and insightful poet.

A) Little known and misunderstood two centuries ago, many readers now find
Emily Dickinson a fascinating and insightful poet.
B) Little known or understood two centuries ago, Emily Dickinson is now
considered by many readers to be a fascinating and insightful poet.
C) Many readers now find Emily Dickinson, who was little known and
misunderstood two centuries ago, a fascinating and insightful poet.
D) Many readers now find Emily Dickinson a fascinating and insightful poet,
who was little known and little understood two centuries ago.
E) Many readers, little known and misunderstood two centuries ago, now find
Emily Dickinson a fascinating and insightful poet.

5. Although the teacher asks each student to clean his microscope after every
experiment, neither Thomas nor Carlos clean theirs.

A) neither Thomas nor Carlos clean theirs.
B) neither Thomas or Carlos clean theirs.
C) neither Thomas nor Carlos cleans theirs.
D) neither Thomas nor Carlos cleans his.
E) nor Thomas nor Carlos clean their microscope.

6. Many scholars regard Adam Smith to be the father of modern economics.

A) regard Adam Smith to be
B) regard Adam Smith as being
C) consider Adam Smith as
D) have regard for Adam Smith as he is
E) regard Adam Smith as

11 comments:

Preston said...

1 - A
2 - B
3 - A
4 - B
5 - D
6 - E

Emily A. said...

1E
2B
3B
4C
5D
6E

Janet said...

E
B
B
C
D
E

Sarah said...

1. E
2. B
3. B
4. C
5. D
6. E

Janet didn't help me at all

Shannon said...

And 70 point is what exactly? Another stick of gum? Sorry, but I'll pass... ;)

Janet said...

Just for the record, Sarah needed my help on at least one of these.

Margaret said...

Just reading the math ones makes my head hurt, but the English ones are fun!

Emily A. said...

In the interest of full disclosure, Todd helped me wtih the math ones. Okay, Tod DID the math ones.

Tracy said...

1. E
2. B
3. B
4. C
5. D
6. E

Oh, wait... I just copied everyone else's answers. I think I should definitely be the winner. :)

Good thing I only cheat with fam!

Emily said...

Well, aren't we all a bunch of smarty pants? Actually, it appears that only one of us is a real smarty pants (not counting me, of course). I couldn't put up my best math zingers because blogger apparently doesn't like exponents or fractions and I can't copy and paste graphics.

I knew if I gave you an opportunity to show off your smarts, I'd get a lot of comments.

Margaret said...

Wait, wait, wait...I seem to remember doing some test strategy stuff with Janet and it said if you absolutely have no idea, you sould choose C. So my answers are:

C
C
C
C
C
C