
Image courtesy of amazon.com. Could you tell?
I know the basic story (from Wishbone), but I think the Gwyneth Paltrow movie version turned me off from reading the book. I'd like to make my own judgment, though, so I plan to read it.
To start the discussion, here's a simple question: How does Emma compare to Jane Austen's other novels? Is it better, worse, more boring, more entertaining, etc. Does it deserve more attention than it gets?
If you've already read Emma, you can just leave your comment now, or read it again and bring back fond memories. If you've watched the movie you could compare the book to the movie. Or, if you have no intention of reading it, just tell me what you are reading now!
And if you have no intention of reading whatsoever, here's a picture of Lauren sleeping for you to enjoy.
2 comments:
I just finished Emma last month, so I have comments!
Mostly, I didn't like it as much as other Jane Austen novels. I think Emma is snobbish and she annoyed me for...the entire book. I feel like she basically made Harriet miserable and snobbish just by having her be Emma's underling. Even though many things happen that are supposed to humble Emma, I feel she never truly becomes humble; instead she convinces herself the new way is how she wanted things the entire time.
I think I read Emma about a hundred years ago and I have no real desire to read it again. So I'll just tell you that this week I read The Book Thief and How Green Was My Valley.
Post a Comment