Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Challenge 2013: January

The challenge: January's challenge is to go all month without eating sugar. That includes any form of sugar, including "natural" sugars like honey and maple syrup, and definitely includes artificial sweeteners, which we really never eat anyway.  We're doing this challenge family style, within reason (ie, I'm not policing what Preston eats at work or telling Lauren she has to say no if someone offers her fruit snacks at a playdate).

Why am I doing this?   We eat a lot of sugar. Too much. We're not very good at just eating one cookie or keeping ice cream in the freezer for more than 48 hours, plus if you start reading labels it's amazing much sugar is in even "healthy" foods. I'm hoping that this challenge helps calm our sweet tooths and resets our palates. Mostly, I just want to prove that I can do it. I'm also interested to see what, if any, effect it has on our health. I haven't really been feeling well for a while and I wonder if eating better will help with that. In addition, I'm interested (hoping) to see if it will have an effect on Lauren's behavior (you can laugh here if you want).

What will we eat?  I have a list of of meal and snack ideas that don't involve sugar. I actually don't think it will be that hard, for me anyway.  By noon today Lauren had already asked for Old McDonald's, a donut, chocolate chips, and chocolate milk, which only served to confirm that this challenge is very needed. I think it will be more about changing habits, like walking through the kitchen and grabbing a handful of chocolate chips just because they are there, and staying occupied in other pursuits.

I'll report back at the end of the month. What are you resolving to do this year?

4 comments:

Margaret said...

What are you going to offer at playdates at your house?

Sarah said...

Do you mean added sugar or are you not eating fruit either?

Joanna said...

I'm with Lauren.

Emily said...

We are definitely eating fruit. I can't imagine Lauren going a day, let alone a month without fruit. I'm more worried about added sugar.