Monday, October 22, 2007

Gone, but not forgotten

Ode to Paco










One day in the Spring of 2001
Because of a deal that I had won
Dad went out to look for a car
That I could drive both near and far

When there on the side of Route 95
Was the perfect car for me to drive
It shone like the sun with a neat shade of beige
I knew I would soon be all the rage

Dad purchased that car and it became mine
Only once did it ever receive a fine
When Joanna had a minor collision
As the result of a bad driving decision

That car and I the highways did roam
To Utah, Idaho, out West, and back home
It spent a short time under Benjamin's care
And left traces of venison and little deer's hair

'Twas a good little car, though it had its days
When repairs were in order--good thing Dad pays!
One morning while leaving the SMTC
Starting, it seemed was just not to be

It ended up Paco had to be towed
(Dad was just thrilled when he learned what he owed)
The gas tank, turns out, was infected somehow
I haven't a clue how it happened, even now

Then there's the time driving North on 15
I started losing power and wanted to scream
Not knowing what to do, I pulled off the road
And waited, again, for my car to be towed

I rode in the truck with a scary-looking man
Much relieved when Aunt Leslie showed up in the van
The alternator was the culprit that day
But it was soon fixed, and we went on our way

There's many a tale of that car could be told
From when he was new, 'till he had to be sold
And a nice young man by the name of Joe
Took him out for a drive, then coughed up the dough

Through rainstorm and blizzard, the sun and the snow
That good little car just continued to go
The adventures we've had would make a long list
And one thing's for sure--Paco will be missed

In memoriam 10/22/07

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I love it, Em! You are seriously talented.

Shannon said...

So, I'm thinking until you have a job you should write and sell poems :) (and even after, you can do it on the side!);)

Sarah said...

Remember when it kept fogging up when we started driving home for Christmas last year? And remember all the times we drove it through blizzard conditions in Wyoming and Minnesota? Remember how much we could pack into that little car? The Metro just isn't the same.

Ben S said...

Paco left? My life is a lie. I must have put 20,000 miles on him.