Monday, January 28, 2008

Book Club

Being the book nerd that I am, I decided to start a book club with some of my college friends, and we had our first "meeting" on Saturday. Instead of doing a traditional book club where someone decides what to read and everyone struggles through it or doesn't finish or doesn't read it at all, we did it where everyone read what they wanted to and then came to share about it, so we all get more ideas of what to read. Per request, I am posting everyone's selection from this time.

Crystal G. shared the book An Undone Fairy Tale, by Ian Lendler. It is a very cute twist on the traditional fairy tale story. She also shared a book about polygamy, but I didn't write that one down.

Rachel Blackmer shared the book Letters to a Young Poet, by Rainer Maria Rilke. I don't quite remember what it is was about, but it is supposedly very inspiring. I put it on my to-read list.

Rachel Borrowman shared the book The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. Kind of mystic, mystery type, it is about a beautiful young man named Dorian who becomes obsessesed with a painting done of himself. It also sounds very interesting.

Stephanie shared the book When Washington Crossed the Delaware, by Lynne Cheney, who is Dick Cheney's wife. It is a beautifully illustrated book about the Revolutionary War, and contains a story that has been deleted from textbooks. I'm not exactly sure what battle it was, but the two sides were facing each other and gunfire was rampant, when Washington, on his horse, crossed right in the middle of the two armies, and although his coat was torn and shot through, he didn't receive even a scratch.

I shared Three Cups of Tea. See previous post for explanation. We had a very fun time and hope to see even more friends at our next gathering.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Sounds fun! Wish I could come.

Ben S said...

wow, you've progress from nerd to queen of the nerds. nice

Joe said...

For the record, I consider The Picture of Dorian Grey" to be a modern classic.

Shannon said...

Thanks for missing us Emily, I'll try harder to keep the blog more regularily updated...just for you. :) I like your spin on your book club where everyone shares different books. I would join the fun if I was out there.

Janet said...

right now i'm reading a tale of two cities in english class. does that mean i'm in your club?