Over the past couple of years, I have gotten rid of most traditional cleaning products and have switched to more "green" and natural cleaners. I am very pleased with the change. They work well, produce less waste and I don't have to worry about burning my lungs out when I clean the bathrooms. Plus, being green usually goes along with saving green - my main cleaning products now are borax, vinegar and baking soda, which are cheap and last a long time. Here's how I clean most of our home now.
Counters and sinks: I use Dr. Oz's safe cleanser recipe, which is as follows:
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of dish soap (I use 7th Generation)
1 drop of essential oil such as peppermint for fragrance (optional, I opt not to since some scents bother me [and I don't want to spend the money on it] and I don't notice the vinegar scent at all)
Put everything in a spray bottle and shake it all up. I use a microfiber cloth I got at WalMart that is specifically for bathrooms and sinks. This spray really gets things clean and makes the metal very shiny. I will never go back to other cleaners.
Windows: I simply use a spray bottle of water and wipe down with a microfiber cloth specifically for glass (also found at WalMart)
Toilets: I sprinkle in some Borax, brush and let sit for a while.
Tubs and Showers: I make a paste out of baking soda and dish soap, then add vinegar to make it foamy. This works really well.
Couches: We have "Durapella" microsuede couches and I just discovered that spraying spots with vinegar works great to clean them. I also use vinegar to disinfect our cutting boards and to clean our humidifiers.
I have not tried making my own laundry detergent or dishwasher detergent. If anyone has, do share!
1 comment:
I have made dishwasher detergent. I can't remember what all is in it, but it does have borax. I don't like it, though, because it's grainy and scratches the glasses.
Post a Comment