Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Favorite Frozen Dairy Dessert

In honor of March being National Frozen Foods Month, I thought I would post a tribute to my favorite frozen food, which is, of course, ice cream. I love ice cream and I am not ashamed to admit it. I eat a lot of ice cream and I am not ashamed to admit it. It makes me happy. Below, I’ve listed some of my recent musings on ice cream and how it has made my life so much better.

-My first job was in an ice cream shop. I hated the job, but looking back, I can definitely see how it provided a solid foundation for my future.

-Family togetherness—I gave up a lot of social opportunities to be home on Friday nights for Ice Cream Night, but I know it made us closer as a family. Plus, Janet and I had a special bond over ice cream. I distinctly remember colluding with her during the week and eating all but a tiny amount of the ice cream in the freezer. Then, when Friday night rolled around, we had to make a special trip to Kroger to replenish the supply. I also remember that Mrs. Nixon was our cashier and she thought it was funny that we were out at 9 or 10 o’clock on Friday night buying only ice cream.

-I firmly believe that my love of ice cream has played a large part in developing my love of exercise. After all, you can’t consume large quantities of ice cream without some side effects.

-Sarah McLachlan has a song in which she declares that “your love is better than ice cream.” I love Preston, but…I just don’t know.

-We went to a ward activity a few weeks ago and won BYU Creamery gift cards from the game. What a blessing for a young newly married couple.

Now I have to admit, I do have a couple of minor grievances in the ice cream department.

1. Smiths no longer carries FMV ice cream. I loved that stuff for several reasons: the packaging was in English and Spanish, so I knew that it was low fat and that it had a contenido de graso bajo. It also tasted good, but I think what I liked the most was that it was only 99 cents for a whole half gallon! Now that it is no longer, we have had to branch out. Our new favorite is Western Family’s Bordeaux Cherry—so delicious.

2. Preston obviously has not lived with me long enough to know how deep my love for ice cream runs. He is still surprised when we buy ice cream and a few days later it is gone. He looks in the freezer and says “What happened to the ice cream?” I then give him “the look” and he says “You ate it all already?” I then give him “the look” again and feel bad for a very short time. Then I stop feeling bad because, hey, I like ice cream and eating it makes me happy. It’s been a small stumbling block in our marriage, but I think we’re improving.

So, as I always say, there’s always room for ice cream. Always room in the budget, always room in the freezer, and always room in my tummy.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, what a good post. I agree whole heartedly.

Margaret said...

One thing you didn't mention and perhaps haven't realized yet is that your love of ice cream undoubtedly has a genetic component. Allreds and Scoresbys all seem to love ice cream.

rachel b. said...

You know, you're totally right about ice cream and exercise. If it weren't for junk food, I would NEVER work out. But thanks to chocolate and gummy bears, I'm practically an All-American athlete.

(PS, This is your cousin, Rachel. Just in case you thought there was a creepy stranger leaving you comments.)

Tracy said...

And her thought ice cream was healthy. Think of how strong your bones are with all that extra calcium.

Preston said...

Little do you guys know that when I was in Young men's, we made a list of attributes that would make a good spouse. I'm pretty certain that I put something to the effect of, "loves ice cream as much as me."

Shannon said...

I LOVED this post, very well written Emily. :)