On my mind: All our sacrament meeting talks last month were on missionary work - but mainly on missions. A couple of the storytellers went to Argentina, which got me thinking about mi querida Argentina, so I pulled out some photos. This first one is on the roof of our apartment in Platanos. So many things make it characteristically Argentine. The trees, the brick houses, the citrus tree, the clothes on the line, that garbage-can-looking-thing on top of the chimney. I'm still not sure exactly what those were, but I think it may have been the water heater. I spent more time in Platanos than any other area and by the end I thought I must have spoken with every person in the town, but I sure loved it.
This next one is with a family in Magdalena - definitely in the running for my least favorite area, but this family was charming. They had it rough. The father hanged himself inside their house, which, by the way, is just one big open room with stove, table, beds and all in there, and they had nothing. But they were so much fun. Liliana introduced us to all sorts of people (including the gaucho I always wanted to teach) and was so good about going out with us. I also like this picture because of my outfit. I wore some funky stuff on the mission. Luckily (for the United States), I left most of it there.
Below is part of one of the best families in Platanos - the Pintos. Their house looked different every time I went over - they were constantly adding on and changing things. I didn't really have a whole lot to do with this family while I was there (or so I thought), but when I was about to leave the area, we went over one evening, and Hermana Pintos started choking up and asked me if I would come back and visit after I left. I didn't know why she would say that, but I did visit Platanos again before leaving, and she told me than that I was like a daughter to her and how much she loved me.
Below is part of one of the best families in Platanos - the Pintos. Their house looked different every time I went over - they were constantly adding on and changing things. I didn't really have a whole lot to do with this family while I was there (or so I thought), but when I was about to leave the area, we went over one evening, and Hermana Pintos started choking up and asked me if I would come back and visit after I left. I didn't know why she would say that, but I did visit Platanos again before leaving, and she told me than that I was like a daughter to her and how much she loved me. I also like this photo because it may be the best photo I have of myself. I doubt I could duplicate that uniquely missionary look, but it would be nice! 

What on your mind lately?
1 comment:
You did wear some strange clothes as a missionary. I remember some shirt mom sent that was still too crazy to be worn.
I would LOVE to go to the Como zoo on the 23rd of November.
Post a Comment