If you weren't aware, the Powerball jackpot is up to 700 million dollars. Preston texted me earlier today saying he was tempted to buy a ticket, which led me to wonder how I would spend $700,000,000. I know it's not a productive use of my time, but it gave me something to think about while I was picking up our completely trashed house this afternoon. These are all assuming that Preston continues working and we continue to live in this area.
1. Pay off all our existing debt. It's not a small amount, but it is just a fraction of $700M.
2. Buy two new cars. Probably a truck for Preston and new minivan with all the bells and whistles for me.
3. Hire a contractor to undertake a home remodel. The first things that come to mind are extending off the back so Andrew can have a normal sized room, the girls' room and can be split in two, and we can add a shower to the bathroom up there with a separate entrance. Also, a complete kitchen remodel with an island where the table currently is and a dining area at the back. Also a remodel/enlargement of the downstairs bathroom, connecting the garage to the house, and putting in a high efficiency gas furnace and ductless air conditioning. Oh, and a radon mitigation system. Also, a deck off the back.
4. Buy a fancy grill and host a barbecue without asking anyone to bring anything.
5. Hire someone to come and clean for an hour every day.
6. Hire a landscaper to mow and do the mulch.
7. Set up college funds for each of the kids.
8. Buy a sleep number bed and a fancy pillow.
9. Hire an interior decorator to paint and add tasteful decorations that match our style (minimalist; classic).
10. I would continue to cook because I mostly enjoy it, but we would definitely eat out more and at fancier places (when eating out means Wendy's, it can only go up).
11. I guess I would need to hire a financial planner to invest most of this and plan for our future.
12. Buy every kitchen gadget I've ever wanted, including a Blendtec blender, a food processor, cookie and muffin scoops, a microplane zester, a spiralizer, and new knives. I would have plenty of storage and someone to wash them, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
13. Give you all $1,000 amazon gift cards for your birthdays.
14. Whenever one of you has a baby, I would buy all of your diapers.
15. Offer to host our next family reunion at Disneyworld.
16. Give the kids memberships to the Children's Museum, the Aquarium, the Science Museum, the Zoo for their birthdays or Christmas.
17. Travel abroad every other year.
I'm running out of ways to spend money, and I haven't even spent two of my 700 millions yet. I guess there are worse problems. What would you do with that much money?
5 comments:
I would...
1) Hire Preston to be my lawyer and finance guy, pay him 3 million. :)
2) pay off all of my debts
3) pay off mortgages for my mother and my in-laws and give them each 1 million to live the rest of their lives comfortably
4) give each child of mine 2 million
5) Buy 2 new cars that won't break
6) replace the furniture in my house to something new, not the PRE-Goodwill stuff that we currently have.
7) purchase a 2nd home on the Atlantic coast, not sure where yet though
8) Host the greatest family reunion at Disney world for 1 week with all the fixings! VIP PACKAGE BABY!!
9) Travel to Hawaii, Fiji, China, Australia, Italy, Sweden, Greece, India
10) start a charity or donate a HUGE portion to a bunch of great charities such as homeless vets, wounded warriors, dog rescues etc
11) help a friend in need.
12) Start a business and invest, live off the interest.
If only, If only! :)
Pay off all debts. And future schooling. Buy a house in cash (when we have a job, of course). Buy a nice SUV for me and car for Jacob. Invest. Pay for kids' college. Give all my siblings a nice vehicle and help them all out of debts. Buy a lot of steak and other expensive foods. Travel much more frequently. Give money to other people. Tip some waiter/waitress a ton of money. Buy me a new computer because this one stinks. Buy memberships to all the cool kid places around. Find some young family that is really poor and give them a bunch of money.
I hope you do win so much money sometime, because I could really use a ton of diapers and $1000 to Amazon.
Is tonight the night?! Since it is now up to $1.5 billion, this is my list of how to spend that much, although I don't know how it would be different from 7 million.
Buy/Build a house on at least 10 acres
Give our current house to someone in need instead of selling it
Donate lots of money to charities
Pay off the debt on my siblings' houses and cars
Travel to Israel, England, Kenya, Italy, Spain, PEI, Russia, China, Australia, France, Central America, and take the kids with us so they can be cultured
Invest
Buy a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 22s
Send Camille to 5 days/week preschool
Maybe let Brian purchase a Tesla
Start 529s for the kids
Join a fruit of the month club
Go to world-renowned specialists to have my hand eczema cured
Last time I talked with you about this you said you would buy everyone a my pillow.
I would: pay off our debts.
Let Ben buy the house on 5 acres with the apple orchard and then hire Chip and Joanna Gaines to come do a complete overhaul of it and turn the barn into an awesome second house/huge gathering area.
Buy us both new vehicles, undecided on types right now, but something with 4 wheel drive for Ben.
Travel with and without the kids.
Buy a second home in AZ with lots of grass and good ac so we have a comfortable place to stay when we go there.
Create a scholarship at BYU for the average person who doesn't necessarily have the best grades or any other special merits or talents (aka a person just like me).
Move Ben's friend, MaryAnne, to live with us, plus hire her own live-in nurse.
Horde my money.
Buy lots of life insurance secretly.
Start and run a bed and breakfast.
Go on more dates with Ben and actually hire a babysitter.
Get Ben a subscription to those food of the month clubs.
Be a snowbird.
Let Ben run for President if he still wants to do that.
And, I will second the cure for eczema because it is really dry and 3 of us are suffering.
I'm hoping for a win in the taxes lottery. If we get what we got last year than we have already decided we are paying of one of our house loans, save some, and buy a storm door for the front of our house.
Post a Comment