Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good News, Better News

The good news: I can sleep again. I haven't been sleeping very well since we moved here for two reasons: 1) Our apartment faces the parking lot and the parking lot is very well lit, so when we turn off the light at night, it's really not very dark. We have mini blinds, but lots of light still comes in. 2) It gets light so darn early here. I keep waking to a completely light room, thinking it must be 8:00 and we overslept; then I look at the clock and realize it's only 5:15. Try going back to sleep then. So, I got some cheap fabric, broke out the sewing machine for my annual sewing project, and sewed up some curtains to use in addition to the mini blinds. I thought about taking a picture, but they're really not that aesthetically pleasing--definitely more functional than beautiful--but, I tell you, they work like a charm. The room is dark and I can sleep again. Hallelujah.

The better news: After a long and extremely frustrating search, I finally FOUND A JOB. I will be working for a law firm downtown as a legal assistant. The pay isn't that great--I was hired through a temp agency, so I'll be working for them for the first 90 days, but I think I will enjoy the work and there is definitely room for advancement. I start on Monday, which means I only have two and a half more days of doing whatever the heck I want all the time, then I am a working woman again. I'll miss watching all three hours of the Today show every morning, but it's probably for the better...

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Congrats on the new job! I wish a pair of curtains can fix my sleep deprivation! JK, Afton is sleeping much more. Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Em,
I check your blog every now and then to see how you and Preston are doing. So even though you may not know it people do check your blog. I'm pretty sure Rachel does as well. Congrats on the new job. It sounds highly professional. I wanted to get a part time job but apparently no one wants to hire a pregnant lady who can only work a few months. I'm having a boy in case you didn't know. I might try your beans recipe you found. Unfortunately beans aren't a popular item for our digestive systems. Have a great week!