Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Beans and Rice

So, Preston used to listen to Dave Ramsey on AM radio all the time--he's a financial dude who helps people get out of debt, etc. Anyway, he always talks about how people like us (newly married, in school, still getting established) are in the "beans and rice" stage of life--meaning we should be living pretty simply--not going out to fancy restaurants all the time, not driving really nice cars, not taking exotic vacations, you get the point. So, we always joke about how we should be eating beans and rice more often. Because of that, I made a New Year's goal to learn to cook with beans. I'm not really doing that great on it--I'm still afraid of using dry beans that you have to soak and cook all day, but I did purchase some cans of beans when they went on sale at the grocery store and after conducting an internet search for recipes using canned beans, I found this amazing recipe for Rice and Beans using canned black beans. It is quite delicious, very easy to make, and a nice meal for the summertime when you don't want to eat a lot of meat (or are too poor to buy a lot of meat). I invite you to try it. I believe you will like it.

Doesn't look very appetizing, does it? Well, appearances can be deceiving. It is very appetizing.

P.S. I don't know if anyone likes or even reads these posts about recipes I like, but I figure this is our version of the Allred Bugle, and people put recipes in there, so I'll probably keep doing it.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Looks good! I'll have to try it. I even have some Sazon Goya around; unfortunately, it is CON annatto.

rachel b. said...

Don't be scared of dry beans! I always was, too, but I am SUCH a bean fan that I finally used dry black beans--yes, the soak-em-overnight-boil-for-2-hours kind--and they are SO much more delicious than the canned kind! And they're way less expensive than canned beans, too, which also helps with the whole "beans and rice" poverty theme :-)

Joe said...

I'd eat rice and beans all the time, except Tracy won't eat them. she doesn't like las habichuelas. Of course, she won't eat gandules (chickpeas) either, so its 'no' to the rice and beans.