This is big news for two reasons. First reason: I dislike sewing. Second reason: I am bad at sewing. Because of this, sewing and I are not often seen together. But because I feel slightly guilty for underappreciating the-best-college-graduation-present ever, I occasionally pull the blasted thing out, and spend a couple of days making a mess. By the end of the couple of days, I'm usually ready to box the thing up and throw it in the Goodwill pile. But I don't. I put it back in the closet and pull it out again six months later.
Here are some of the disasters I've made during Snowmageddon the past couple of days.
I eased into it with some simple mending. Lauren had this cute striped one piece thing (coverall? I don't know what they're called) that Aunt Tracy gave her (by the way, thanks Aunt Tracy!). Unfortunately, one-piece things don't fit Lauren very well. She's long in the torso and all those snaps are way too much to manage during diaper changes. But this was way too cute to not use, so I simply cut the legs off and hemmed it to make a hoodie. I think it's cute!
After the hoodie, I really got going and made some beanbags.
Then since I was in the groove I made Lauren a little purse. I made it out of the cut off leg of an old pair of sweats and some leftover Cheerios material. I'm all about being resourceful and reducing, reusing, and recycling. The sewing machine was already threaded with white thread, so I just used that. I'm also all about being lazy.
Obviously, I need to work on sewing a straight line. Mrs. Schlegel would be ashamed. She's probably not the only one.
Lauren uses her purse to carry around her wallet (filled with empty gift cards and old library cards) and various other items, like books, hair things, and pencils.
I made a few other items during my sew-a-thon, but I can't post pictures of all of them because some might end up wrapped in pretty paper under your Christmas tree. Yes, you should be afraid. The paper will likely be prettier than what's inside.
6 comments:
How about some leg warmers? Also very 1980's :)
I can't wait for my sewing machine so I can make beanbags, too.
1. Snowmaggedon? Cool name.
2. I like the hoodie a lot. Figures.
3. Definitely make leg warmers--they seem to be coming back into style at BYU.
4. Is anything sewn going to end up being unwrapped by me? I can't decide whether I am excited or scared.
Remember when you made me pj pants out of that Cherrios fabric. I left them on my mission:)
The hoodie is super cute! I'm totally impressed-I think my skill level is at a 3 yr old level. :)
I say go for the leg warmers. They're actually cute on little kids, (not so much on adults.)
P.S. I'm glad the outfit made it to the blog. Dang, I'm good! JK. Anyways enjoy your sewing extravaganza.
You girls are so lucky, I would love a sewing machine! (Though I hinted very strongly to santa this year, so maybe it'll happen soon. ;)
Good job on the hoodie and I also vote for the leg warmers!
Post a Comment